:: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S. government
On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 07:18:12PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> Expectations (again): They said OOP must be all or nothing. Smalltalk
> good, Perl bad. No fair using structured code where it works best, and
> objects where they work best. Nope, if you're not 100% OOP, you're just
> a hack. LOL, Java required the main routine to be in a class: I'm
> forever seeing main classes that obviously are kludges for (disallowed)
> structured code.

That's exactly why I like Modula 3. You use structured code where
that's good. You use objects and inheritance where that's good.
You use interaes and modules where that's good. And all those are
separate concepts that can be used independently. If you want an
object to be an opaque module, you make a module and put the objec in
it. And so forth. Except for its Pascal-like wordiness, it's great.

-- hendrik