:: Re: [DNG] Would you guys hate me if…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Would you guys hate me if...
On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 10:05:33AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I were making a general purpose menu program that might eventually
> end up in Devuan, would you hate me if I made it depend on MongoDB?
> Same question, but for YAML? Same question, for both?

My personal preference for dynamic things like menu composers is to
have an easy-to-modify textual representation of the information. By
"easy-to-modify" I mean that I would like to be able to open the file
with vi, add a few items if needed, close the file, and have the thing
work out what it needs to do.

What they have done, for instance, to the GNOME menu system (which was
once upon a time editable by hand and sued to work pretty well...) is
exactly the contrary of what I consider "easy-to-modify".

The format of menu files adopted in WindowMaker is *exactly* what I
mean by easy-to-modify, and I don't see why one would need anything
more complicated than that. After all, a menu is just a tree-like
structure, and each element basically has three/four attributes at
most: label, program to execute, (list-of-)keystroke(s), and possibly
an icon.

KISS

KatolaZ