:: Re: [DNG] A nice summary about what…
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A nice summary about what's bad about SystemD
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016, Marlon Nunes wrote:

> https://www.ubuntubsd.org/wiki:why_not_systemd
>
> 12 points about why its bad.

very good read. I never considered point 3 really. Makes sense and
indeed is quite worrying to imagine the consequences:

> Since systemd is very tightly welded with the Linux kernel API,
> different systemd versions are incompatible with different kernel
> versions and portability is unnecessarily hampered in many
> components. This is an isolationist policy that essentially binds
> the Linux ecosystem into its own cage, serving as an obstacle to
> developing software portable with both Linux variations and other
> Unix-like systems. It also raises some issues backporting patches
> and maintaining long-term stable systems.

Devuan's existance is not justified uniquely by the systemd avalance,
but has more to do with Debian's betrayal of its own social contract
in face of the avalance. However this document reinforces our position
and we may want to link to it as a resource for our readers and people
considering non-systemd distributions.

ciao