:: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
Author: Rob Owens
To: Simon Walter
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Simon Walter <simon@???> wrote:

> On 07/26/2016 12:28 PM, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>> On 26/07/16 10:27, Simon Walter wrote:
>>
>> Is that really the case? Did the Debian leadership do a poll to find out
>>> what their users wanted and who were their typical users?
>>> Desktop/personal vs. server/professional?
>>>

> yes/no?
>
> I would have to say no. I was on debian-user, and saw no poll. There was

a lot of discussion, and the anti-systemd folks were largely ignored or
told "go away, you're bothering us". I subscribed to debian-devel to
monitor and discuss the situation, but my impression there was that the
opinions of non-developers were largely ignored.

There were a couple people who I heard arguing for systemd because of some
particular useful feature. But most of the arguments that I heard from
developers in favor of systemd was that it would be too hard not to adopt
systemd as default.

We all know that systemd's plan all along has been to make resistance
futile, so I won't get into that. But when somebody tries to tie my hands,
I try to stop it. Unfortunately most of the Debian developers (at least
the vocal ones) did not share my view. It was very disheartening to see,
and it really changed my opinion of the project as a whole.

For the record, I ran (past tense) Debian on desktops, laptops, and
servers. The obvious attempt by systemd to make itself a requirement was
the first thing that made me suspicious about the project. I've since
become more informed on the issue of init systems and now have many
technical reasons to dislike it as well.

-Rob