:: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
On 07/26/2016 03:45 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 11:27:20 +0900
> Simon Walter <simon@???> wrote:
>

>> We need to drive a wedge into the FOSS community and separate the
>> desktop users from the professionals. I am sorry to be divisive, but
>> the water is under the bridge and the damage has already been done.
>
> You might find it interesting that I'm a desktop user, or perhaps a
> workstation user.

OK, thanks for showing me up.

> If I were you, I'd take help wherever you find it. Your proposed wedge
> would split Devuan as much as anything else.

It doesn't seem to be hurting BSD any. Or do those projects just attract
more serious people?

>> Is that really the case? Did the Debian leadership do a poll to find
>> out what their users wanted and who were their typical users?
>
> Hell no! As a matter of fact, they made it a point not to listen to
> their users.

Thanks for this insight.

>> Desktop/personal vs. server/professional?
>
> It didn't break down that way.

Thank you for this insight as well.

I guess it's similar to the way I see most operating systems. For
example, most *BSD's do not have a desktop agenda. IMHO, it therefore
can be said to be a safe choice for servers.

As you said it doesn't break down that way. I apologize for thinking
desktop users are not interested in non-systemd systems.

I am happy with Debian 7 on my notebook, but I don't think I will
install 8. I am not too concerned yet.

Cheers,

Simon