:: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Simon Walter
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
On 07/26/2016 08:03 AM, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:06:09PM +0000, hellekin wrote:
>> On 07/25/2016 06:07 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
>>> This is a screenshot of my buddy's kernel menuconfig:
>>>
>>> https://sanitarium.net/x.png
>>
>> Support for init systems, system and service managers:
>>
>> [*] OpenRC, runit and other script based systems and managers
>> [ ] systemd
>>
>> This looks like a huge troll against systemd.
>
> That setting being deselected means exactly nothing. It's the same state as
> on Debian, Devuan or even systemd-only Red Hat. All that Gentoo did was
> adding a convenience switch that, when triggered, turns on everything needed
> to use systemd. These settings happen to be on on any general-purpose
> distribution as, tight embedded excepted, you want stuff like fanotify or
> being able to run containers.

I was thinking...

We have sites like: http://without-systemd.org

It would be nice to have a list of software that is dedicated to using
systemd and software that has optional integration. Along with that
software.

We also need to have a list of news with the findings that we keep
bringing up on this list to track systemd creep.

We need to drive a wedge into the FOSS community and separate the
desktop users from the professionals. I am sorry to be divisive, but the
water is under the bridge and the damage has already been done. We need
to know who shit in the sandbox so professionals can avoid the turds.
It's been going like this ever since you have these evangelicals and
journalists screaming for "the year of the linux desktop".

I have a question about what Simon Richter said on his
blog(http://www.simonrichter.eu/blog/2016-03-03-why-sysvinit.html):

"Here's the thing: most users will be entirely happy with fully
uncustomized systemd. It will suspend your laptop if you close the lid,
and even give your download manager veto power. I fully support Debian's
decision to use systemd as the default init for new installs, because it
makes sense to use the default that is good for the vast majority of users."

Is that really the case? Did the Debian leadership do a poll to find out
what their users wanted and who were their typical users?
Desktop/personal vs. server/professional? Did they consult their package
survey stats?

I wasn't participating in those discussions. Maybe I should have. For
that, my friends, I am sorry. I am sorry to open a can of worms of
perhaps what is a sensitive issue with those of you who were involved in
the discussion and the exodus.

The reason I want to know about that is because if most Debian users are
desktop users, perhaps it's for the better that they went with systemd
as the default. It gives more credence to Devuan as the professional choice.

Kind regards,

Simon