:: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 11:27:20 +0900
Simon Walter <simon@???> wrote:

> We need to drive a wedge into the FOSS community and separate the
> desktop users from the professionals. I am sorry to be divisive, but
> the water is under the bridge and the damage has already been done.

You might find it interesting that I'm a desktop user, or perhaps a
workstation user.

And I've known plenty of professional admins who not only liked
systemd, but swore up and down they were the recipients of all
systemd's good things, and wondered why desktop people cared one way
or the other.

If I were you, I'd take help wherever you find it. Your proposed wedge
would split Devuan as much as anything else.

[snip]

> Is that really the case? Did the Debian leadership do a poll to find
> out what their users wanted and who were their typical users?

Hell no! As a matter of fact, they made it a point not to listen to
their users.

> Desktop/personal vs. server/professional?

It didn't break down that way.

> Did they consult their
> package survey stats?

Doubtful. It was an agenda driven kangaroo court.

> I wasn't participating in those discussions. Maybe I should have. For
> that, my friends, I am sorry. I am sorry to open a can of worms of
> perhaps what is a sensitive issue with those of you who were involved
> in the discussion and the exodus.

We're not the ones to tell you. Sign up for Debian-User mailing list,
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/, and ask those questions. Be
prepared for people with 1/10 your IQ to tell you the hundred different
reasons you're wrong just to ask the question. Say hi to Don Armstrong
for me, and tell him how much I miss him.

> The reason I want to know about that is because if most Debian users
> are desktop users, perhaps it's for the better that they went with
> systemd as the default. It gives more credence to Devuan as the
> professional choice.

I wouldn't split it desktop/server or desktop/professional. It didn't
split that way. Very truthfully, it split smart guys vs dumb guys, with
the dumb ones remaining in Debian.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist