:: Re: [DNG] Wirth's law
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Wirth's law
Le 25/07/2016 18:06, Steve Litt a écrit :
> Complexity has costs that must be paid. Before including any
> complexity, I ask myself "can I pay the freight?" Can I afford the
> decreased repairability? Can I afford the decreased readability? Am I
> ready to document how it works, so a well meaning future maintenance
> programmer knows which variables are out of bounds for him to change?
>
> And if I*can* afford it, is that expense needed? Would things like
> forking be as expensive? On a web server handling thousands of
> connections, the answer is "probably." On my home workstation, the
> answer is "of course not."

     I think I am doing the same carefull analysis as you before
starting to write an application.

     Note that, for the case of a web server, different groups have made
different choices. AFAIK Apache runs one thread per client while Nginx
uses epoll() to serve multiple clients per thread. Nginx has the
reputation to have a much smaller footprint and to be faster.

     Didier