:: Re: [DNG] Gtk-theme for Devuan
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gtk-theme for Devuan
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 23:11:17 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 11:02:19PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 23:36:06 +0200
> > aitor_czr <aitor_czr@???> wrote:
> >

> > > Help, Steve Litt !!
> > >
> > >    Aitor.

> > I think a separate theme is needed for people with fuzzy vision.
> >
> > PRIORITIES:
> >
> > * Readability over pretty.
> > * Quick Contextual recognition over pretty.
> > * Readability over real estate efficiency of the screen.
> > * Quick clickability over pretty.
> > * Keystroke access over not bothering to program same.
> >
> > TIPS:
> >
> > * Noticibly different color titlebar for focused window.
> > * Reasonable sized titlebars with big devices like close, max, hide
> > and windowshade.
> > * Window designs capable of functioning with big fonts.
> > * NO FRIGGIN TRANSPARENCY!
> > * Instantly noticible borders. I use 2px cyan borders on the focused
> > window.
> > * Text with big contrast. Black on white, black on f0f0f0, black or
> > darkblue on ffffcc, or white, bright yellow or bright green on
> > black are ideal.
> > * Never assume red and green will contrast with each other:
> > Red/green color blindness is the most common form of color
> > blindness.
> > * Ideally, the text should still contrast if all color is converted
> > to shades of gray.
> > * Active buttons should be instantly recognizable (Firefox hang your
> > head in shame).
> > * Bold mouse pointer. Mouse tracks are nice, but I haven't seen
> > them in years.
> >
> > Normal people can continue using normal themes, but people like me
> > need what's described above.
> >
> > I have such a theme, but the problem is it bears absolutely no
> > resemblance to other Devuon themes, and also, it's built from other
> > themes so it's kind of a mess.
> >

> Sounds like specs for a really usable theme. Can I use it?
>
> Even though I'm using xfce or icewm instead of gnome?

Blind leading the blind, no pun intended. I'm using it in Openbox on
Void Linux, you're using it on xfce or icewm.

I'm attaching the following file:

/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks_slitt/openbox-3/themerc

It started with Clearlooks, and I experimented til I got what I wanted.
I don't understand everything I did. The main points here are:

* dd0000 active titlebar background
* ccffff active titlebar label color
* 2 pixel border, 00cccc
* Window handle width 6px
* 000000 window grip color

Believe me, glance for 1/4 second and you know which is the active
window, and how far it extends in every direction. That big red
titlebar is the only seriously colorful thing on the screen, and the
borders are unmistakable.

It's    not    pretty.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist