:: Re: [DNG] Earth-friendly micro-desk…
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Earth-friendly micro-desktop Devuan demo
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016, Edward Bartolo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jaromil wrote:
> <<
> they say "interestingly the desktop login times on
> Devuan Jessie (time from login to when the desktop is ready to use)
> appear to be faster than for Debian, Parabola, and Fedora 24"
> >>

> Well done, Devuan! :D

yes is another occasion for rejoicing for all of us :^) and I find
this a very interesting point since most systemd arguments talk about
"booting times" but here is really about "login times". now wearing
the hat of a desktop user, my habit when switching on is:

1- start the computer
2- go pour myself a glass of kefir
3- come back to desk and login
4- start working

so well I am ready to wait between 1 and 3, may even indulge in
harvesting more fresh kefir, but when I'm at 3 I'm already warming up
my fingers with speedy password typing and want to have everything
ready, its all rolling and I have stuff to do ASAP.

so well - in my humble experience - login time is really much more
"precious", second only to compile time (solved by Samba's ccache and
distcc)

ciao