著者: Adam Borowski
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames on the login screen
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 07:52:59AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>     Same problem as you: accents aren't available on En keyboards (or by
> tricks I ignore). I use to pick them from various documents with the mouse -
> or use a Fr keyboard.

Then you want a Compose key. On real keyboards, it's best to bind it to a
totally unused thing like Menu, on laptops, a key combination (I think one
is bound by default, can't check right now as virtualbox is kaput, too lazy
to install a new one in qemu). There's even a bunch of implementations for
Windows, one included in putty.

Compose key includes, among others, combinations for all the accents/
umlauts/etc which don't require memorization: you press Compose then the
base letter then the given decoration:
* Compose, a, ',' for ą
* Compose, o, '"' for ö
* Compose, e, "'" for é
* Compose, a, '*' for å (ok, * is a bit unobvious)
* Compose, o, '/' for ø
* Compose, 1, 2 for ½
and so on. No need to use copy&paste for decorated latin characters.

--
An imaginary friend squared is a real enemy.