:: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames …
Author: Arnt Gulbrandsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames on the login screen
Rick Moen writes:
> Funny that you should mention that: You might actually have seen that
> tale as related by _me_ on Risks Digest.

The substance is similar but the wording unfamiliar. Could it possibly be
that such a thing has happened twice? Surely not.

(BTW, I had to explain a two-routers-in-one-19" thing in my hand luggage
very thoroughly once. The odd appearance and solid steel construction made
them jittery. But my double-edged razor blades went by without comment.)

>> I believe the conventional solution is to locate such hardware
>> behind locked doors and make sure few people have access to the
>> power cables.
>
> Yes, mostly. It would be rare to permit physical console access (other
> than by highly trusted people) on a shared ISP machine or anything like
> that. In edge cases -- which really isn't likely -- one _might_ imagine
> a server that does significant work for remote users and simultaneously
> regular users were permitted use of a local console.

Edge case is the right term, and the proverb goes "optimize for the common
case".

It's nice to have options and an orthogonal design, but please let those
who want to have console GUI on a multiuser server spend the time to test
that case and fix whatever needs fixing.

Arnt