:: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames on the login screen
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:59:26 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):
>
> > On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:08:01 -0700
> > Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
> >
> > > It fits logically into the 'effective use of autonomous host
> > > w/console stations having the independent local processing
> > > ability that mere consoles lack' category, of course. Was that
> > > actually a question?
> >
> > Yes. What would be the advantage of LTSP over kmscon or systemd?
> > What would be the disadvantage? How would one choose between LTSP
> > and kmscon (I'm assuming nobody on this list would choose
> > systemd)?
>
> Well, LTSP (and variations thereon) is a very attractive option if
> your consoles have motherboards, adequate CPUs, adequate RAM, and the
> ability to run Linux. Technically, they don't need local mass
> storage, because they can netboot.
>
> LTSP (and variations thereon) is _outside_ the realm of possibility if
> your consoles are just consoles and don't each include a Linux-capable
> computer.

OK, I think I see. I was assuming that there's no graphical terminal
cheaper than a cheap commodity computer with mobo. To the extent that
there are graphical terminals cheaper than commodity computers, it
makes sense.

I hadn't thought much about several people using the same computer for
different GUI tasks in the last 12 years.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist