:: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rick Moen
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames on the login screen
Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:08:01 -0700
> Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
>
> > It fits logically into the 'effective use of autonomous host w/console
> > stations having the independent local processing ability that mere
> > consoles lack' category, of course. Was that actually a question?
>
> Yes. What would be the advantage of LTSP over kmscon or systemd? What
> would be the disadvantage? How would one choose between LTSP and kmscon
> (I'm assuming nobody on this list would choose systemd)?

Well, LTSP (and variations thereon) is a very attractive option if your
consoles have motherboards, adequate CPUs, adequate RAM, and the ability
to run Linux. Technically, they don't need local mass storage, because
they can netboot.

LTSP (and variations thereon) is _outside_ the realm of possibility if
your consoles are just consoles and don't each include a Linux-capable
computer.

People looking fond of multiseat capability wish to bring about a
renaissance of non-autonomous console computing. I'm not among them,
but consoles did make economic sense decades ago when I was in high
school and when minicomputers were in their heyday, and maybe they will
again. Or not.