:: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Simon Walter
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames on the login screen
On 07/19/2016 10:38 AM, Brad Campbell wrote:
> On 19/07/16 00:37, Steve Litt wrote:
>> SPECIAL USERNAMES
>> For instance, to reboot the computer from the login screen, type in the
>> username "reboot" (without the quotes), then when asked for the
>> password put the root password, and it reboots.

> This is one I find interesting. I've never used an operating system
> where it was required to know root credentials to halt or reboot the
> machine from the login screen. Certainly if the machine is logged in but
> locked, unlocking is required first but on any of the other OS I use I
> can simply shutdown or reboot unauthenticated

> So all that rambling comes back to "why do I need to know my root
> password to halt or reboot the machine from the login screen?"

Well, that question is probably best answered by the SLiM developers.

However, AFAICT the SLiM login manager is no longer maintained. If
Devuan is using it as a default, I suggest someone maintain it and make
these changes or we use a different login manager.

If someone here is maintaining, maybe we want to let the world know.
Other OSes might need it.

I am pretty sure it's trivial to install a different login manager if
SLiM is not to your liking. Or has systemd crept into the rest of them?

Simon