:: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Brad Campbell
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames on the login screen
On 19/07/16 10:43, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Brad Campbell (lists2009@???):
>
>> This is one I find interesting. I've never used an operating system
>> where it was required to know root credentials to halt or reboot the
>> machine from the login screen.
>
> Remember, Unix is a multiuser operating system, and also one supporting
> both local and remote users, who would be annoyed by someone deciding to
> cut them off.

Rick I completely understand that sentiment, and none of my servers have
a GUI on them. I just "assumed" (yeah, my mistake) that display managers
were used only on single user desktop machines.

Windows is a special case, well just because Windows has always been a
special case and it has taken Microsoft some 20 years to come to terms
with a GUI-less server.

Regards,
Brad