:: [DNG] Open-RC on devuan - some ques…
Top Pagina
Auteur: emninger
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: [DNG] Open-RC on devuan - some questions
Hi!

On the road to a viable jwm desktop in devuan, i am using/trying
open-rc. In advance, my excuses if what follows is not sufficiently
technical.

To the point: From Manjaro-OpenRC i knew openrc as a clean and logical
system to manage daemons & processes. By far, from a user point of
view, superior to sysvinit. Now, the transition from sysvinit to openrc
in devuan is mostly painless. BUT: I'm under the impression in
devuan/debian openrc works only as a kind of wrapper around sysvinit.

An example: I installed a zram script (still when i had sysvinit as
init manager). Now, this script is configured to openrc in this way:

"rc-update add zram boot" (which adds the zram daemon to the boot level
to have it ready early; could be added also to default). Now, when i
remove it by "rc-update del zram boot" it is not even more present for
openrc - but nevertheless, it is still started at any reboot. For me,
that means, openrc is *NOT* the real init manager - at least in its
debian implementation.

It would be nice to have openrc implemented as it is in gentoo or
manjaro: with the to essential directories:

/etc/conf.d (where all the scripts for openrc are configured)
/etc/init.d (where the scripts that are configured in /etc/conf.d sit)

May be in that way, it would be also easier to use the existing scripts
in gentoo and arch/manjaro (maintained by artoo).

I ask here, because i know here are some competent openrc coders.

Thanks in advance for any pointer!