:: Re: [DNG] Help needed debugging MyS…
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed debugging MySQL install
On 07/17/2016 01:01 PM, Simon Walter wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having trouble installing mysql-server inside a container (lxc). I
> have the same problem with a fresh Jessie install. so it doesn't seem
> specific to Devuan.
>
> Basic description of problem:
> After unpacking and setting up the packages, mysql is stopped and the
> root use password is to be set. However, the management database does
> not exist and/or cannot be created. There are no files in
> /var/lib/mysql/mysql and it is owned by root. On an successful install
> (not in a container) that dir is owned by mysql.

More info:
mysql_install_db does not seem to be running from the postinst script.
When I run this manually, it succeeds. I think it is failing to run
because I have no syslog.

ERR_LOGGER="logger -p daemon.err -t mysqld_safe -i"
bash /usr/bin/mysql_install_db --user mysql --rpm 2>&1 | $ERR_LOGGER

I find it strange, because logger does not fail even if there is no
syslog daemon.

I was wondering why the command is prefixed with "bash". That doesn't
seem to work
test.sh:
#!/bin/bash
bash /bin/date

#./test.sh
/bin/date: /bin/date: cannot execute binary file

The strange thing is it works when there is a syslog daemon installed.

Any ideas?

Simon