:: Re: [DNG] Need for documentation (g…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rick Moen
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Need for documentation (golinux)
Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):

> I'd suggest the display manager we use not be part of a window manager
> or desktop environment. With all the things that have been going on in
> the Linux world the past couple years, I prefer my parts independent
> unless I'm using the whole package, and clearly a lot of people won't
> be using LXDE on Devuan.

My own approach to this matter is to not require a display manager to do
anything more than Keith Packard's xdm does.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XDM_(display_manager)

In fact, I mostly just use xdm. It's small and fast, simple and easy to
debug, processes login via the Xlogin widget, and starts an X11 server
(for local logins). I don't actually need (or want) a window manager
to do anything else. If I need, e.g., to change what window manager
gets launched at login, I do that via dotfiles, like God Intended. ;->

No, that won't be liked for everyone. Fortunately, it doesn't have to
be, in order to work perfectly for those admins who choose to run it.