:: Re: [DNG] C Obfuscated code: a virt…
Author: Peter Olson
To: dng, Jaromil
Subject: Re: [DNG] C Obfuscated code: a virtue or a vice?
> On July 16, 2016 at 4:47 AM Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Peter Olson wrote:
>
> > I'm a fan of Donald Knuth as well. My funny story is that when I
> > was in college, I got an offer from Addison-Wesley to preorder the
> > seven volume set "The Art of Computer Programming" for the low. low
> > price of $119. It's now more than 40 years later and volumes 5, 6,
> > and 7 are still missing :-) I'm glad I didn't take the offer :)
>
> wait a sec, besides that is a ridicolously low price just for the
> volumes he has already written, AFAIK he is on schedule with the
> initial writing plan, at least until present volume 4. please check it
> yourself, last time I did I saw that he is absolutely on schedule.
> But I don't exclude he may have been delayed just recently on vol.4

I actually don't remember a schedule.

Agreed, it is a ridiculously low price :-)

Is he on schedule? I don't know, but volumes 1, 2, and 3 came out a long time ago, then there was a revision to volume 2, then some time passed, then there was an Internet preprint of volume 4, and now after a long time, I looked on Amazon and found there is a print version of volume 4 and a volume 4b, and ...

Long live Donald Knuth!

For a fun excursion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complexity_of_Songs

He also talks about knitting formulas in the preface to one or more of the existing volumes.

Peter Olson