:: Re: [DNG] C Obfuscated code: a virt…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] C Obfuscated code: a virtue or a vice?
On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 03:37:58PM -0400, Peter Olson wrote:

[cut]

> I'm a fan of Donald Knuth as well. My funny story is that when I was in college, I got an offer from Addison-Wesley to preorder the seven volume set "The Art of Computer Programming" for the low. low price of $119. It's now more than 40 years later and volumes 5, 6, and 7 are still missing :-) I'm glad I didn't take the offer :) On the other hand it is terrifically cool that he got so frustrated with the mechanics of typesetting that he developed TeX.

And METAFONT, for that matter, and the language (WEB) he used to write
TeX and METAFONT. In my mind I have always compared Donald Knuth to a
chimera with the head of Dante Alighieri, the body of Johannes
Gutenberg, and the arms and legs of a medieval blacksmith.

That's an amazing man.

HND

KatolaZ