:: Re: [DNG] Need for documentation (g…
Author: Go Linux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Need for documentation (golinux)
On Fri, 7/15/16, Robert Storey <robert.storey@???> wrote:

To: dng@???
Date: Friday, July 15, 2016, 12:30 AM

Re: [DNG] Need for documentation (golinux)

> Robert Storey <robert.storey@???>
>> Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 04:04:59 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: Go Linux <golinux@???>
>>
>>>From /usr/share/doc/slim/README :
>>
>>    Special usernames (commands configurable in the config file):
>>    - console: start console login
>>    - exit: exit SLiM
>>    - halt: halt the system
>>    - reboot: reboot the system

> Hi golinux,
>
> Thank you for this, it's useful information. However, just like the issue on using F1 to scroll through available
> window managers, the above isn't obvious and is easily missed (after all, I missed it). True, I'm not the geekiest
> Linux user alive, but I'm not a novice either.
>
> So I think it would be nice if there was a little "Help" box stuck in the graphic login screen which contained all of
> the above info. It wouldn't have to be very intrusive, but there is enough screen real estate to accommodate it, I think.
>
> Should I be filing a bug report to push this issue? Hardly seems like a true "bug," but I do think it's important.

Hmm...I should have actually tried those commands before I shot off my mouth. Now I see more problems...

The commands "console" and "exit" work, in the sense that you'll get a console from where you can log in, though I see no advantage in that. You could use Ctrl-Alt-F2 though F6 to do the same thing (and Ctrl-Alt F7 to get back to the original login desktop). You still have to log in first before you can reboot or shutdown.

The commands "halt" and "reboot" do not seem to work. SLIM asks me for a password for user "halt" and user "reboot" which is less than useful, since no such users exist.

There is an error in file /usr/share/doc/slim/README, it says:

CONFIGURATION
    /usr/etc/slim.conf is the main configuration file.

Of course, that should say:
    /etc/slim.conf is the main configuration file.

best regards,
Robert

Obviously, I didn't try what was suggested in the readme . . . don't like to reboot or even logout. I'm hoping that someone with more chops than I have should be able to get those commands working.

I suggest you file an issue under the slim package and assign it to hellekin.

And I totally agree that there should be some text suggestions on the login screen perhaps to a revised README if nothing else.

golinux