:: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:14:18 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Hullo, I'm the rat bastard who wrote
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/openrc-conversion.html and is thus
> either ignorant or a very sadistic systemd hooligan.
>
> Hi, Jaromil! You and I have corresponded in e-mail, and you'll recall
> that I like Devuan, appreciate its work, and follow it with interest.

Deeeuuuuude, that's not what you're saying over on SVLUG. I quote:

* Far as I can tell, Devuan was a operatic overreaction, and by no means
the most efficient way to deal with the problem.

* "Nor did it merit a fork, IMO."

* "The whole forking thing seemed like gratuitous drama, really. Just
my opinion."

[snip]

> On the other hand, I have absolutely no problem with your deciding to
> fork the distribution instead, and appreciate your work.

Which is all I expect. Heck, the appreciation isn't even necessary.
Although I speak for myself here, I suspect there may be others on this
list who see it the same way.

You'd be amazed at the number of people who mock Devuan, who are angry
at Devuan, who say bad things about Devuan. On a broader scale,
whatever means a person chooses to use a PID1 that's not systemd is
mocked and draws angry reactions from the Debianistas and systemd
enthusiasts.

You've said a number of times that forking isn't necessary because you
can do your Debian package manager-foo. I've responded every time that
I just don't trust Debian not to sabotage continuing ability to do
that, either out of malice or ignorance or laziness. In fact, the
outcome of Ian Jackson's GR enforces their right to such sabotage. And
also, there are people, like me, who don't want to play whack-a-mole
undoing all the stuff systemd-entanglement as Debian puts it in.
Hence the fork.

As I mentioned on SVLUG, Devuan is a special case. Although all forks
ruffle feathers a little bit, no fork I've heard of comes close to the
level of anger that the Debianistas and systemd-enthusiasts heap on
Devuan. Which reminds me of this little quote from a great person:

then you win."

Which in turn makes me think of another little quote from another great
person:

"Don't Panic and Keep Forking Debian"

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist