:: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:14:18AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Hullo, I'm the rat bastard who wrote
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/openrc-conversion.html and is thus
> either ignorant or a very sadistic systemd hooligan.
>
> Hi, Jaromil! You and I have corresponded in e-mail, and you'll recall
> that I like Devuan, appreciate its work, and follow it with interest.
> Normally, I follow dng (intermittently) only via its Web archive,
> because I don't really have time for more mailing lists, but I'll be on
> here for at least present discussion for a while.

[cut]

I personally don't see the reason for such a reaction on your side
Rick (BTW, welcome here :)), but I am sure I am missing something. I
personally believe that all the work to avoid and contain systemd and
other nonsense is valuable, independently of where it comes from :)

It is true that the pinning game can actually work for you or for me,
who are content with a minimal window manager and xterm, but this is
not a viable long-term solution for the Linux community. For that
matter, most of us could have simply solved the systemd-problem two
years ago by playing the pin game for a while and then switching to
(or in some cases, just remaining with) *BSD.

Maybe those are still good solutions in some speficic cases, who might
allow single individuals to continue their computing as "normal", but
IMHO pinning won't work forever, for the same reason why in just two
years you already have several dozens basic packages depending in a
way or another on systemd.

That's why, although I appreciate efforts like yours and those of a
dozen more who have been experimenting with pinning (we have done that
as well, for months), I remain convinced that maintaining a
systemd-free fork of a distributition, and of a fundamental one like
Debian, is a more sustainable way of dealing with the problem. It's
not easy, but nothing is easy :)

HND

KatolaZ