:: Re: [DNG] Devuan docs for dmenu
Author: Vicente Vera
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan docs for dmenu
Nice! Thank you.

Here's a simple script I wrote for launching programs in X (dmenu_run
is overkill IMO):

---
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# Terminal emulator program (st is suckless.org simple terminal)
terminal=st

# Array of programs we want in our menu
programs=(cmus
          emacs
          firefox-esr
          geeqie
          libreoffice
          palemoon)

# Checks whether above programs are available in $PATH and sends a new
# list to dmenu; your selection will be saved in the $chosen_program
# variable
chosen_program=$(for program in "${programs[@]}"; do
                     [[ $(command -v $program) ]] || continue
                     echo "$program"
                 done | dmenu -i -b -l "${#programs[@]}")

# Run the program! cmus is a special case because it has no GUI
case "$chosen_program" in
    cmus)
        exec /bin/bash -c "${terminal} -e cmus" >/dev/null 2>&1
        ;;
    *)
        exec "$chosen_program" >/dev/null 2>&1
        ;;
esac
---

Hope it proves to be useful as reference.

Also, this thread is full of great ideas: