:: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] tools for writing
Subject: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 16:00:55 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 12:33:43PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > I don't use Slackware because their package manager won't figure out
> > dependencies for me, causing me to need 10x the time to install some
> > things (and I install a lot of stuff --- did I ever mention I write
> > books for a living?).
>
> I've noticed the books you mention inn your signature.
> But now that you appear to write books on Linux, may I ask what
> software you use to do it?

The only book I write about Linux is a "Learn Vim Tonight", and I don't
recommend it. You can find better Vim books. I recommend my books on
troubleshooting, Rapid Learning, and human performance.

In answer to your second question, my 1990 "Troubleshooting: Tools,
Tips and Techniques" was written with WordPerfect 5.1. 1999 "Rapid
Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist" was written
with MS Word (so sue me). My newest book, "Troubleshooting: Why Bother"
was written in Bluefish and then converted to ePub via some Python
programs I wrote.

The other 7 were written in LyX.

I've done some work on a text based native format to do the simpler
stuff that LyX does, but do it in a write once, export everywhere
manner. Sooner or later I'll switch my authoring over to that format.
The LyX project has dragged their feet maddeningly on a real, semantic,
Xhtml export that can be used to make real ePub, as opposed to the
pidgeon-ePub that fails validation tests and renders only on a small
fraction of devices.

If an author is sure that he'll never need anything else but PDF
output, LyX is by far the best. If the author might need ePub or other
output formats, keep in touch with me.

I think I answered your question, but if not, please ask again.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist