Skribent: emninger
Til: dng
Nye-emner: [DNG] OT: Lovecraft analogies to systemd
Emne: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
Hi Arnt!

Am Mon, 11 Jul 2016 19:07:56 +0000
schrieb Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???>:

> > I don't use Slackware because their package manager won't figure out
> > dependencies for me, causing me to need 10x the time to install some
> > things (and I install a lot of stuff --- did I ever mention I write
> > books for a living?).
>
> ..so which do you prefer, Slackware wee mess,
> or being at the mercy of Poettering & Co?
>
> > On the other hand, a lot of people I respect (including emninger)
> > love Slackware specifically because it leaves figuring dependencies
> > to the user, leading to a relatively dependency-lean environment.
>
> ..aye, means you will have to do a _predictable_ wee bit more.
>
> ..can we (Devuan) lean on Slackware and alien conversion,
> at least as a backup plan B to the potential Debian trap?

Recently, i followed, as a silent lurker, a - german - dispute on
systemd, where frequently intervened Martin Vaeth, who is - IMHO - a
very reasonable person (author of several open-rc scripts for Gentoo.
In my poor - and non technical -words, he sustained, that, considering
the tendency of the systemd people to engulf more and more
essential/critical processes of the basic boot-up of linux, in a near
future only a distro like gentoo would have a chance to survive, since
its process of building (emerge) allows, to avoid the systemd
jabbawagga [1]. When i read that, i thought, the same should go for
slackware - in the linux ecosystem (given that they resist to the
systemd temptation, which seems to be the case ... (?)

----

1] I remember a novel of H. P. Lovecraft where there is a monster,
which, once it'll be awaken it would engulf all the world. I believe to
remember its name was jabbawagga, but it's only a vague memory ... ;)