:: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 02:14:44 +0200
<emninger@???> wrote:

> Am Thu, 07 Jul 2016 12:00:02 +0000
> schrieb Steve Litt <slitt@???>:
>
> Hi Steve!
>
> > The whole systemd thing is one big propaganda war. It's not about
> > tech. Saying systemd is about tech is like saying a Molotov Cocktail
> > is about building construction.
> >
> > Anyway, this video is one of the best weapons our side has in the
> > propaganda war.
>
> After having read lots of pages about systemd and the controverse
> debate about, i (as a non-technical person) tend to think, that
> systemd is not bad, but fully functional:

I'll respond do the preceding later in the email...

> Only, it's not an init system, or better: it's not in the first place
> an init system but a funnel to fill into the RedHat channels as much
> as possible of the man power and intelligence of the linux comunity.

Pre-cisely!

> If they want or not, if&when systemd becomes un-avoidable they will
> (have to) work for RedHat, and they will do that "for free" (as the
> hooligan esults in the end of the video). No way out ...
>
> I cannot judge if that will happen effectively, but seems clear to me
> the strategy (and the debian responsibles effectively were dull enough
> to do what a famous german writer expressed: "Nur die dümmsten Kälber,
> wählen ihre Schlächter selber" - something like: Only the most stupid
> calves go to the butcher voluntarily).

Yes!

About systemd not being bad and being functional...

One of the systemd weenies' top ten arguments is "it works just fine,
what's your problem?"

OK, fine, fer sure, fer sure. Yeah, my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS boots just fine
with systemd. But consider that to keep systemd operating correctly,
Red Hat's paying a crew of programmers to maintain it full time. It
wouldn't surprise me if they're paying a million dollars a year to
developers to develop and maintain systemd. So consider this: What
happens when they stop paying all this money? Who will step up and
maintain the mess? Inits like s6, Epoch and runit are simple, because
each was created by a single person in his/her spare time. Therefore,
they're maintainable by a single person in his/her spare time. If
Laurent Bercot, Subsentient or Gerrit Pape, respectively, were to be
run over by a truck tomorrow, lots of people are capbable of stepping up
and taking over maintainership of their already stable programs.
Systemd, not so much.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist