:: Re: [Libbitcoin] What C++11X-specif…
Author: Eric Voskuil
To: mlmikael
CC: libbitcoin
Subject: Re: [Libbitcoin] What C++11X-specific features, types and language forms etc. does LibBitcoin (any and all parts of it) use really?
It is not impossible. The whole library can be written in C, Z80 or any other Turing complete language.

The difficulty is not something for which I have a measure. We don't isolate such things. libbitcoin-consensus purposely does not require C++11 but all other libraries make free use of it.

[We do avoid most aspects of C++11 in the headers so that they may be Included by MSVC 2013 projects without requiring the CTP compiler. We also avoid these aspects in test projects as well, which don't use the CTP compiler. This acts as a verification that the headers are clean. Due to compiler differences the only way we can effectively verify this is though compilation with the target compiler.]

To determine the extent of changes required to downgrade you would need to compile without support and work through the issues. I expect that in some libs it would require extensive changes.

It's not a regression I would want to support, as C++11 makes the code substantially more readable and lightens the development cost with no discernible down side.