:: Re: [DNG] policykit - another time …
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Didier Kryn
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] policykit - another time ...
Le 01/07/2016 16:59, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult a écrit :
> what I never really actually understood: what do we really need it
> for ? what's the real-world problem behind to be solved ?

     The real problem behind was to replace sudo by something more
complicated, for the sake of complication. sudo allows simple things to
be done with simple config and complicated things with complicated
config. Policykit is better: all is complicated, the config and the
machinery to handle it, which is a tangle of daemons, sockets and, of
course, dbus and possibly systemd, obviously for the sake of entangling
it as much as possible. Plus it replaces a single and simple command by
a whole library.

     Replacing a simple system with a complicated one, may be an amusing
game, but should remain a game.

     I expected most of the requests would be done by applications by
just invoking pkexec, which is a kind of replacement for sudo, but it is
only true for some launchers, like the one of Synaptic (I have written
my own replcement for pkexec and it works). But Policykit comes with
several commands and I'm afraid Xfce4 applets, for example, make calls
to the polkit library rather than invoke these commands.

     Therefore, IMHO, we are left with two options: either elaborate a
polkit-shim or discard applications which use it.

     Didier