:: Re: [DNG] RFC: minimalistic service…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] RFC: minimalistic service reporting library [WAS: samba-libs package in Debian now depends on libsystemd0]
On 01.07.2016 00:14, Daniel Reurich wrote:

Hi,

> There was a discussion on this list quite some time ago about the same
> thing. The guts of it was yes it would be useful, but if it requires
> getting upstream projects to adopt a new library we'd need to make it
> compelling for them.

Well, I'd just start w/ applying corresponding patches in DNG and share
them w/ other (non-systemd) distros. Then let's see, how it plays out.

> The most likely path would be to provide something that would provide
> the interface and an optional shim that to interface with systemd
> sd_notify().

NAK. That's exactly what I do *not* want.
Instead I wanna have an clearly defined API for *exactly* the actual
real-world problems - as hilevel as possible. sd_notify() is more an
catchall for anything ... the kind of API I do not wish to have.

> However to get developer buy in, we'd probably end up having to
> implement the entire systemd api in the shim and something analogous to
> systemd functionality in the library to make it worthwhile instead of
> using libsystemd0 directly. Not impossible but certainly looks to be a
> reasonable chunk of work.

NAK. I'd like to have clean solutions for clearly defined real world
problems, not some catch-all-do-anything.

--mtx

--

mit freundlichen Grüßen