:: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For …
Author: John Morris
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For help)
On Fri, 2016-06-24 at 15:11 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Stuff like this is the reason I soon abandoned K&R as a learning
> tool,
> and used it only to determine the official behavior of C.
>
> Bit stuffing, sliding and masking were a tool of the assembly
> programmer
> back when your RAM could be counted in four digits and your processor
> had little power.

Or you are doing the sort of things most C code written these days
does. My last C program was taking to an RFID writer over a serial
port to implement ISO 28560 standard library article tags. Bit
fiddling is useful when the storage available on a typical RFID tag is
less than a tweet.

The graphical interface was in Tcl/Tk, because that sort of thing
doesn't leverage the strengths of C. But trying to do the bit fiddling
parts in Tcl would have been the exact opposite of fun.