:: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Edward Bartolo
A: irrwahn35
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For help)
Hi,

Irrwhan35 wrote:
<<
There is no "passing by reference" in C. Forget it. No
references. Only *values*. Everything is passed *by* *value* in C. You
will never pass "an array" to a function call in C. You will instead
pass the *value* of a *pointer* to a contiguous region of RAM which
contains the elements of your array. You pass *an adress*, namely the
address of the first position in RAM where your array stays, not "the
array", or a reference to the array. And this is implemented by
copying on the stack the *value* of the pointer (i.e., the address),
so that your function can access the array that start at that address.

I think, we both are saying the same things, but using different words
that may have slightly different meanings for us. All code
instructions are finally translated into machine instructions which
involve reads from and writes to RAM and CPU registers. The CPU only
understands register indices/addresses/names and memory addresses and
a set of instructions which tell it which logic circuit to use to
process data. Therefore, a function's actual parameter declared by a
program language has to be translated into an address at some point
before execution. The choice of what to use for this address is two
way: a) either use the same address of the variable with the same name
in the same scope or copy the data without bothering about the
original address of the actual variable. When using the variable's
address it is equivalent to having a pointer and copying the data, is
just like having a local variable that is forgotten as soon as the
function exits. By "Passing by Reference" I always understood using
pointers behind the scenes by the programming language.

This is why I am finding it hard to logically accept that "passing by
reference" is NOT equivalent to passing a pointer for the machine. For
the programmer, it is using a different syntax, but the machine sees
no difference. And since, in the end what programmers do with their
code is running it on a machine, what a machine sees is what counts,
at least for me.

Edward