:: Re: [DNG] [OT] [Re: Studying C as t…
Author: Edward Bartolo
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] [Re: Studying C as told. (For help)
Hi,

Again, this is NOT a difficulty but for anyone wanting to comment.

And this is for P. 38 Exercise 1-14

Initially, this gave me the dreaded Segmentation Fault (aka Access
Violation). It was naturally something to do with the array. I was
exceeding the permissible index maximum.

My solution:

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
#define MAX_LENGTH 26 /* English alphabet has 26 letters */

int char_freqs[MAX_LENGTH];

  int i;
  for (i = 0; i < MAX_LENGTH; ++i)
    char_freqs[i] = 0;

  /*  fill in the frequencies array, char_freqs
   *  Lowercase and uppercase of same letter treated as one letter
   */
  char c;
  while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) {
    if ((c >= 'a' && c <= 'z') || (c >= 'A' && c <= 'Z')) {
        /* in ASCII table 'a' > 'A' */
        /* i.e. if lowercase */
        if (c >= 'a')
          ++char_freqs[c - 'a'];
          else ++char_freqs[c - 'A'];
    }
  }

  /* display the histogram */
  int j;
  for (i = 0; i < MAX_LENGTH; ++i) {
    /* select lowercase as heading for each bar */
    printf("%c \t", i + 'a');
    for (j = 1; j <= char_freqs[i]; ++j)
      printf("#");
    printf("\n");
  }

return 0;
}

Why I was receiving access violations:

 if (c >= 'a')
          ++char_freqs[c - 'a'];
          else ++char_freqs[c - 'A'];

Exchanging 'a' with 'A' in the above causes the program to attempt to
write to array indices that fall beyond the highest index. The OS
responds by sending a signal (SIGSEGV) to terminate the program
immediately.

Edward