:: [DNG] Fwd: Mini init script writte…
Author: Edward Bartolo
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Fwd: Mini init script written in Perl boots.
Hi,

Looking at what /etc/init.d/rc does it should become clear that
/sbin/init does not itself load the OS. This is why I delegated the
used its functionality. This means, there is no need for PID 1 to have
rc's functionality built in. What a minimal PID 1 would need is some
mechanism to monitor a limited set of signals like when a user
requests a reboot or a shutdown.

Doing some searching about PID, PPID, PGID and GID, I found these
numbers are used to classify processes so that they can be handled as
a group when that applies. So, an init must be aware of this.

It looks like a minimal init is quite interesting to attempt, maybe
not now, but definitely sometime when I get more consensus about
implementing it.

Edward