:: [DNG] About OpenRC with Devuan (jar…
Author: emninger
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] About OpenRC with Devuan (jaromil/parazyd)
I installed OpenRC in one Devuan machine - and it works just nicely.
But nevertheless i note some particularities.

- Just as an appearance: While in Manjaro/Arch Linux, running openrc
and not systemd, there is a nice clear order, when it comes to start
the processes/daemons/services managed by openrc, the msgs in devuan
maintain still the somehow "chaotical" appearance ...

- Seems it is not possible to simply transport the openrc scripts,
from arch or gentoo. Their system, which i find pretty clear, is to
have the configuration of the services in /etc/conf.d/ and the
service scripts itself in /etc/init.d/. In devuan/debian this way
seem to *NOT* work; i tried with the zram-init script and it does
not come up. In dmesg i found this error msg:

[    2.078384] zswap: default zpool zbud not available
[    2.079454] zswap: pool creation failed

In the end, but frankly i'm far away from understanding the complexity
of the problem, *IF* openrc in devuan works only as a kind of overlay
to sysvinit, why double the problems? I had hope openrc would bring a
bit more order - from a user's point of view - in the services and their
maintainment. OTOH, the way it works in gentoo or manjaro, for a user
is great. Would it be possible to have openrc that way in devuan too?

Thanks for your patience!