:: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written …
Góra strony
Autor: Irrwahn
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written in Perl boots.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 17:42:39 +0200, Edward Bartolo wrote:

>> what the heck did you think the
>> last line of Felker's original code did?

> Felker's last line:
> return execve("/etc/rc", (char *[]){ "rc", 0 }, (char *[]){ 0 });
>
> In Devuan rc is found in /etc/init.d meaning I had to edit the code.

No, you're *not* meant to edit that code you came across. It's
to run *some* program provided by the implementer, incidentally
called rc. It is *not* restricted to whatever program bearing
that name you happen to find on your system (if any). There's
more to the world of *nixes than just De(bi|vu)an. If you want
to write an init system it is *you* who have to provide that
program, whatever name it goes by.

What I was trying to get across (admittedly in a very cryptic
manner): There's no need to spawn a shell (lest a getty) to run
the process that does the *actual* system initialization. The
thing you're toying with, despite it being named "init", represents
not even 1% of that task.

>> It's this arrogant attitude of "alright, got it, easy enough,
>> now I'm gonna improve on it" without bothering to actually
>> get to the bottom of even the basic concepts behind it, that
>> brought us systemd and other crap. If you keep this up you are
>> condemned to reinvent SysV-init (or OpenRC, or whatever), poorly.
>
> So, you see in me yet another Lennart Poettering.

No. I see someone going at things with the same narrow minded
attitude, and for no (at least to me) apparent reason. Which is
sad, and a waste.

> I wish I received a
> pay like his, but reality was harsher with me.

Same here, so what? Life's a bitch, and then you die.

Regards
Urban