:: Re: [DNG] Installer Devuan Jessie 1…
Author: Robert Storey
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Installer Devuan Jessie 1.0 fails

> Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:21:20 +0200
> From: <emninger@???>
> To: dng@???
> Subject: Re: [DNG] Installer Devuan Jessie 1.0 fails
>
> Am Wed, 15 Jun 2016 01:26:45 +0000
> schrieb dng-request@???:
>
> Hi Robert!
>
> Even if it's not really good news, it's a kind of confort, that this
> problem does not happen only to me ;) And seems Didier Kryn experiments
> the same.

Yes, I'm also (sort of) relieved that I'm not the only one experiencing
this. Thought I was going crazy!

> But if so: Shouldn't we investigate the installer? I mean, it's not
> really user friendly to have an installer subject to that kind of
> errors.

Yes, I think that this IS important to fix. Even though I was able to work
around the problem, there are many others out there who will give up at the
first sign of trouble and head straight back to the comfort of Poettering
Linux.

> schrieb Simon Walter <simon@???>:
>
> Hi Simon!
>
> > Since it is a universal OS. I would suggest we disable the graphical
> > installer if it causing people to be put off. This may sound like
> > heresy, but the text base installer is not minimal and it is fully
> > functional.
>

> My problem (the failure while installing the base system) happens in
> both, the graphical and the text mode installer.
>
> I'd suspect there's something wrong with the underlying routines (as
> also L. Nodden noted).

Although I didn't try the text-mode installer, I suspect that's not the
problem. I'm still guessing it's network latency that trips up the
installer, though I could certainly be wrong.

One thing I have noticed is that the Devuan installer gives you a
completely up-to-date system when it's finished. There's no need to run
"apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" after installation. I presume
that's because the installer downloads every package it's going to install.
I didn't see an option to NOT do this. On Ubuntu, for example, you can
choose to not even connect to the Internet while installing, though after
the first boot you'd be wise to update/upgrade. Perhaps the Devuan
installer should offer this option? Or is that a bad idea?

cheers,
Robert