:: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In n…
Author: Edward Bartolo
To: KatolaZ
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In need of some hints...
Hi,

KatolaZ wrote:
<<
but when somebody writes to a ML asking for suggestions on a
topic I usually assume that s/he really wants to receive some
information on that topic

Thanks to this mailing thread, I now understand what fork() actually
does. To me fork() looks much more than simply a function that does
some processing returning a result as it looks more like an
instruction directed at the kernel scheduler to split the process into
a parent and child that are not equal in all respects. Furthermore,
fork() returns the child pid for the parent while it return 0 for the
child process. fork() is the point after which execution in the child
continues. This means, the child process does not start from the very
beginning of the code but from just after fork(). Using the return
value of fork() for the condition in an if statement provides
different execution paths for the parent and child as is the case in
Felker's init.

Sorry to "look like a troll". This impression is worrying me as it is
not a true picture of what I am although I am far from the ideal
person on Earth. Due to past misfortunes, my memory is not the same
photographic memory that used to be. However, should this sole
defiency be the yardstick of whether I code or not? My survival
instinct tells me to press on, which I will do...

Edward