:: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In n…
Author: Irrwahn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In need of some hints...
On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:20:25 +0200, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> On 14/06/2016, Irrwahn <irrwahn@???> wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 10:47:02 +0200, Edward Bartolo wrote:

>>> With some code editing to load a shell using the command system(), I
>>> finally am using Felker's minimal init.

[...]

>> Now, for a little bit more convenient system startup and
>> (especially) shutdown, you should give sinit[1] a go.

[...]
>> [1] http://core.suckless.org/sinit

> I found using '/etc/init.d/rc 0' while felker's init is running does
> an orderly shutdown.

Well, I was thinking about being able to shutdown or
reboot the machine by sending signals to PID1. I am
however aware it's debatable if that can still be
considered a sane concept in the 21st century.

And TBH, starting a shell from init via a call to
system() is an ugly hack to say the least. Probably
okay for a proof-of-concept throw-away kludge, but
nothing more.

Regards
Urban