:: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In n…
Author: Irrwahn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In need of some hints...
On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 15:47:49 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
[...]
> Then I'd write a shellscript workalike for Suckless Init. In my
> opinion, once you've done that, you should publicize it like the Autumn
> leaves, because you've done a service to all of Linuxdom, and you've
> especially done a service to Devuan, whose root story is that init
> should be simple.

[...]

I'm probably missing something important here, so I have
to ask: What would be the point in replacing an easily
comprehensible, self-contained and statically linked piece
of code[1] by some script, howsoever simple, that relies
on an (in comparison) gigantic and potentially buggy blob
like a shell[2]?

To me that's not exactly KISS. Does your mileage vary that
much, or am I simply missing the point?

[1] E.g. Felker's init, or one of it's variations.

[2] Dynamically linked bash would be the worst case scenario
    here, I believe. Mksh linked statically with musl-libc
    would be a much safer bet, but IMHO still far from ideal.

Regards
Urban