:: Re: [DNG] package request
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Go Linux
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] package request
On Fri, 6/10/16, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

Subject: Re: [DNG] package request
To: dng@???
Date: Friday, June 10, 2016, 10:10 AM

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 04:57:06PM +0200, emninger@??? wrote:
> Am Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:36:05 +0000
> schrieb dng-request@???:
>
> > > Would it be possible to package palemoon for devuan?
> >
> > Are there a reasons for that?
> >
> > I use palemoon myself on Devuan. Just downloaded their bundle and
> > opened in /opt/palemoon, set the bin in PATH and ready for use. It
> > also notices me for upstream updates.
> >
> > I'm open to debate, but personally incline (for this and other
> > packages) to concentrate on the maintanance of a *core*, *base* Devuan
> > system and leave to individuals and downstream maintain a bigger set
> > of packages for specific uses.
>
> Hi Jaromil!
>
> Yes - and no ;)
>
> If i succeed in my attempt with jwm, i'd like to set palemoon as
> default browser; it's a bit hard if there is no package ...
>
> But for sure, it's correct what you say about keeping the core packages
> as small as possible. OTOH, i for one, would not mind if
> icewease/firefox would be substituted even in core by palemoon ... ;)
> (It's what i did, individually; after havin tried for a while both in
> parallel).
>
> Thanks in any case for your effort & cheers!

I cannot ue chrome on the web any more, because it is no longer
supported on my 32-bit devuan system. It still runs, but is a
security risk without security patches. Except, of course, on html
files I build myself on the local system -- I just don't put in popups
or ads or malware.

I use mathjax to display mathematics. It is acceptable on chrome, and
on midori.

It is ridiculously slow on iceweasel. Not only that, but
after it desplays my equations (it's a long document, bot just a small
note) it keeps blanking the screen and restoring it for a randoom
amount of time.

It's even *fast* on midori. I don't know about palemoon.

The main problems I've had with midori is that I haven't figured out
how to get it to import bookmarks from iceweasel of chrome, and I can't
figure out how to get is to sort local directories into alphabetical
order -- almost any reasonable alphaet would do.

If palemoon acts reasonably with mathjax, I'd be happy to welcome it
to the fold.

-- hendrik

I use palemoon sometimes. I actually run it (and tor) from my /user directory. The problem with ANY browser other than FF/Iceweasel is the lack of addons - I use about 25. (Chrome is the worst at this.) Palemoon has some of them available but not all. And they may be disappearing from the FF repos as their engine moves to a different incompatible platform. Quite a while ago, chillfan and I discussed rescuing some addons and he even started such a project on git. I wouldn't mind seeing palemoon in the devuan repos because I suspect that eventually FF will become unusable (for me at least). Steve Pusser packaged palemoon for antiX quite a while ago so maybe we could get it from there?

golinux