:: Re: [DNG] devuan installer and over…
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] devuan installer and overheating
On Wed, 08 Jun 2016, Simon Walter wrote:

> OK, well, I just tried the new BETA.

please remember critical feedback and insights are welcome! we need
to improve things still. but perhaps not in the d-i installer, which
is quite of an hairball.

> I don't know why there is a graphical installer. My opinion is that
> If it's not taking up too much developers time, then great, but it's
> really not necessary. Hopefully no one is spending much time on it.

me and CenturionDan wasted a couple hours on that, to get the branding
right and even then we left the svg/png header out, to not waste too
much time on it. the initial problems lead to spot something else
missing in our CI, so it was good to get everything straight.

moreover, we all know that the netinst.iso is a very poor base for an
installer, lacking many tools for troubleshooting in case of failure.
Katolaz minimal live would be much better for that. Also we are
opinionated on how the text installer should really work. So I think
that on the mid/long-term we will see the birth of the Devuan
installer, following the work we are currently doing on the SDK.

As far as we see it now, the devuan-installer should have a text
interactive part which basically consists of editing a text file with
all settings and then the actual installation going through those
settings. This approach, similar to the OpenBSD installer, has many
advantages.

another graphical installer can also be there after that, likely made
to run on fbdev with the fine "nuklear" ANSI C toolkit library.

however these are just long term plans shaping up, anyone intrigued
and capable of coding away with nuklear is welcome to contribute.

ciao

p.s. pardon the extra utf8 bytes, I'm testing my new swoosh sig :^)

--
~.,_   Denis Roio aka Jaromil    http://Dyne.org think &do tank
    "+.   CTO and co-founder      free/open source developers