:: Re: [DNG] devuan installer and over…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Simon Walter
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] devuan installer and overheating
On 06/07/2016 07:38 PM, emninger@??? wrote:
> Am Tue, 07 Jun 2016 08:33:08 +0000
> schrieb Simon Walter <simon@???>:
>
>> I have not noticed this. What are the models of your notebook
>> computers?
>>
>> You could do everyone a favour and debug it a little. Do you know
>> which process was spinning the CPU?
> a Samsung NP535U3C (amd processor and graphics)
>
> a Sony Vaio VPCF23S1E (Intel Core i7-2670QM (-HT-MCP-) NVIDIA GF108M)
>
> It always happened when it came to install the software tasks (desktop,
> printserver, etc) - apt i'd presume. The fans are going crazy. At first
> i thought it might be a problem related to the amd/ati graphics which
> unfortunately do not work fine with the free driver. But now, i
> realized this also on the Sony Vaio which has nothing to do with amd.
> But indeed, on the Vaio it was a qemu installation - but otoh, just to
> check, i compiled libre office from source and the machine never got
> hotter than 60°. Installing Jessie in qemu the top heat was 87°!
>
> (How can i debug the installation?)

Well, those are certainly powerful enough machines.

Do you have a very fast Internet connection? I would assume the fans go
crazy, but unless your room is very hot and the machines full of dust,
they should not crash from overheating.

Let me see...

OK first of all, at least on the version I have
(devuan-jessie-i386-alpha4-netboot.iso) there is no graphical installer.
So it's most likely nothing to do with your graphics chip.

Second of all, there is no top on the installer and the busybox version
of ps that is on the installer is completely striped down.

So you may have to resort to parsing /proc to find the misbehaving
process. That being said, I don't know if I should say that you should
write a shell script to parse that info or if you should pick through it
by hand. It might be simpler to cp top from a compatible installation
and use that to find the misbehaving process.

Once you find that, then you will know basically what is going on.

Simon