:: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility
On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 10:58:37 +0000
hellekin <hellekin@???> wrote:

> On 06/03/2016 10:42 PM, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> >
> > That said, I wonder, what information any
> > arbitrary init system would need, that can not be delivered e.g. in
> > a simple XML file, packaged with the daemon.
> >

> An XML file, however simple it may be, is probably the last thing you
> want to add to an arbitrary init system.

Hi hellekin,

That was my reaction, before realizing that his idea was to, just once
per config change, modify the XML and then run a user level program to
update the rc files or whatever.

It's a little like web pages. Some web pages are static HTML and some
are dynamic. Static web pages are usually faster, less resource
intensive, and more secure. If you're not displaying interactive stuff,
static is usually the way to go (I know this isn't a hip way to think
of things, but I've found it to be the truth).

So look at this page:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/

The preceding link is to a page containing a hierarchical list of
links, and in fact the page is not authored, but is created by a python
program. I could have made this page dynamically by running the python
program every time a user browsed to that page, but instead I ran the
Python program once and used its output as that web page.

Which is pretty much what Florian was suggesting: Change and convert
the XML only when something about the boot changes, and put the output
file into an rc file or something like that.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb