:: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility
Página Principal
Autor: Adam Borowski
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility
On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 02:08:02PM +0200, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 10:58:37 +0000
> hellekin <hellekin@???> wrote:
> > On 06/03/2016 10:42 PM, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> > > That said, I wonder, what information any
> > > arbitrary init system would need, that can not be delivered e.g. in
> > > a simple XML file, packaged with the daemon.
> >
> > An XML file, however simple it may be, is probably the last thing you
> > want to add to an arbitrary init system.
>
> Also, i wasn't aware that XML is such a powerful trigger word

You'd need to go really, really far out of your way to design such an epic
fail as XML. What it does is stringifying a simple tree data structure.
Most of us here can design such a format that it's both human and machine
readable, with a parser that fits in a single line of Perl.

Enter XML. Definitely not human readable. Not (easily) machine readable
either. And as to complexity... take a glance at
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/libxml2
59! Fifty-fucking-nine security holes! In just a single implementation of
such a format.

You'd need to be really pants-on-the-head retarded to use XML anywhere near
an init system. Especially in PID 1.

Obviously, as you can expect, "someone" does this. In a standard-breaking,
buggy way.

--
An imaginary friend squared is a real enemy.