:: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Florian Zieboll
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Init compatibility
On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 10:58:37 +0000
hellekin <hellekin@???> wrote:

> On 06/03/2016 10:42 PM, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> >
> > That said, I wonder, what information any
> > arbitrary init system would need, that can not be delivered e.g. in
> > a simple XML file, packaged with the daemon.
> >

> An XML file, however simple it may be, is probably the last thing you
> want to add to an arbitrary init system.

Hola Hellekin,

still: The idea is a "meta configuration file", parsed during the
installation of a daemon, from which the conventional init scripts for
each individual init system can be derived. Hence a daemon's package
maintainer wouldn't have to provide 27 different configurations, one
for each init system that comes with the distro - instead, the each
init system maintainer (and, in the best case, some day in the future
"upstream") would provide this parser/converter script.

Also, i wasn't aware that XML is such a powerful trigger word, you
probably noticed the "e.g." in front of it. I only worked with it in an
Adobe CS context where it is really great, once you have unravelled the
horrible tag overlapping produced by Indesign. If I ever mention XML
again on this list, you'll know that I'm trolling^^

libre Grüße,

Florian