:: Re: [DNG] use zram for /tmp - how?
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] use zram for /tmp - how?
Le 04/06/2016 21:44, emninger@??? a écrit :
> Anyone of you knows a way how to use zram for /tmp ?
>
> (I inherited a sony_vaio with 16 gb of ram - which i never ever
> will/could use, so i thought to use the excessive ram configuring zram).

     I have a laptop with 16GB of ram. I configured it like this with
the primary goal of not using swap at all. And my /tmp is a tmpfs with a
4G limit. This allows me to use an SSD as hard disk drive. I didn't want
to swap to an SSD.

     I have never been short of ram in 3 years. I have compiled kernels,
GCC, and many other things on this laptop, runing make with multiple
threads; I sometimes got stuck by lack of cpu, never by lack of ram.

     I understand that you want to go further and increase the size of
your /tmp by compressing it. It seems pretty complicated and probably
not worth the burden.

      Didier