:: [DNG] ifconfig vs ip
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] ifconfig vs ip
Hi All,

I am working on some cdist scripts for setting up some network interfaces.

So far I am modifying the /etc/network/interfaces and then bring down
and up the interfaces. For a while now /etc/init.d/networking has a
warning that it is deprecated. I understand why. So I issue:
# ip address flush dev xxx && ip link set xxx down

Which seems to work fine. However, when I try to bring the device back
up with the new config with "ifup xxx"
It fails. If I first issue a "ifdown xxx" then it works.

So I have couple questions for those who know about the situation in De*an:

1. Is there a plan to move away from ipconfig?
2. Is there a plan to write a /etc/init.d/networking script that works
properly?
3. Is ifup unrelated to ifconfig and will continue to live and be used
in the De*an ecosystem?
3. For my project: How does one bring up and down interfaces with ip in
coordination with /etc/network/interfaces? Or shall I use ifup?

Kind regards,

Simon