:: Re: [DNG] Converting audio to AAC u…
Author: Robert Storey
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Converting audio to AAC using Soundconverter
> From: Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???>
> To: dng@???
> Subject: Re: [DNG] Converting audio to AAC using Soundconverter
>
> Re: [DNG] Converting audio to AAC using Soundconverter
> If your target machine is anything non-ancient, you want opus, it

thoroughly
> beats both mp3 and aac at any bitrate. Even I, with untrained ears and
> shitty gear, can ABX 320kbit mp3 on some samples. Never tried with aac

but
>it's said to be similar. On the other hand, pretty few people can ABX opus
> at just 96k, so encoding at 128k is fine if you're paranoid about quality.
> Yes, it is that much better.

Hi Adam, thanks for bringing Opus to my (our) attention. I looked it up and
it does sound enticing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)

However, looking at https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ there doesn't seem to be
anything about converting files to Opus. I do realize that converting an
MPS to Opus isn't going to improve its sound quality, it's new encodings
that should make the difference. However, I can see some benefit in knowing
how to do the conversion so that all the sound files can be in the same
format. Just wondering if you have any useful links?

cheers,
Robert